Posts by ArtWorks

Any body wanting to adjust color on Enscape object lights in Sketchup? It can be a pain locating appropriate IES data in the Sketchup world. On a recent such excursion, I discovered this is super easy using Sketchup's native paint tool and mixer. Here's the process:

Insert the Enscape light object in the model, select it and simply paint it with the bucket tool. Color adjusts on the fly, for instant feedback. Hue is primarily what adjusts, but a bit of intensity is inherent in hue. (A dark blue neon color is slightly less intense than a baby blue neon hue). Really the Enscape slider for lux/lumens works best here. Still, rather than having to load a custom IES file to test the look, instantly quickly adjust it yourself via paint. This hack is also handy when you want some custom studio lighting hues in a model and works better than, say, an emissive form of lighting due to the current limits on emissivity's overall lux/lumens output. Now adjusting Kelvin or ambient hue is very quick and easy. Not as real world accurate a replication as true IES data, but for quick and dirty tweaks, it is nice. And you can simply add your custom tones to your favorites palette or make a new palette dedicated to your favorite lighting effects for future use. I personally set the transparency to nearly zero for nicer in model display pre render. The opacity doesn't seem to affect this effect, BTW. You can just hide the enscape lights on a layer for sections or construction dox use.

One simple hack I tried didn't work in Sketchup, namely make a component and then reorient the component axes. But.... maybe this would make a very simple workaround in adding this grass wall wish to Enscape? It'd appear the coding works off global axis z not any inferior axis such as components. Just a thought that might save the code forge some time and money and get us this great idea in living green reality. Love the grass feature, and this would definitely open new vistas for design.