Posts by mgrugl

Prepare to use multiple renderers. If you want speed and quality, and you will want speed and quality when deadlines come near, Enscape stands alone. If you have a lot of time on your hand, and good hardware, and want the highest rendering quality, then look into VRay. If you wish to have lively visualizations, then look into Twinmotion (currently free). Lumion's student version is trimmed down vs the full application. If you wish to have fully interactive presentations, consider learning Unity or Unreal.

I recommend Enscape to my students, which they figure out independently in no time, and teach them to use Unity for 360 video, VR and AR. When it comes to learning and job finding, that has proven useful.

However, at the core is BIM. In your case, that's Revit, which has some shortcomings and particularities when it comes to modeling and texturing. You will not only need a suitable renderer, but also satisfactory geometry, textures and lighting. Hence, if you dedicate time to prepping, take a look at these aspects of Revit, e.g. mass modeling, family creation, material creation and material settings, and lighting.

Would you consider a simple reset position feature as a start? Say, a client gets stuck some place in VR, and he has the option to quickly return to the starting point of the experience? In our presentations, that would already help.

For what it's worth, at the firm I am working we are using 1070 Max-Q, 2070, 2080Ti and 1080Ti with Enscape, visualizing Revit projects up to some 500GB. It seems the 1080Ti holds up pretty well in all scenarios, including VR (Vive 1st gen and Odyssey). If cost is a factor, I could see going for that one and wait for the next gen Nvidia cards. After all, they just started out with real-time rendering functionality, and the performance e.g. in Unreal is not overly great. Not even with the 2080Ti. Of course if the upcoming real-time rendering features are of interest, e.g. for stills and video, then the 2080Ti seems like a good choice.

None of the cards have their memory maxed out. A fast CPU seems to be beneficial. We noticed faster loading times and better frame rates out of Revit with Intel 8th and 9th gen CPU's, compared to AMD Ryzen.

I have tried with the last 2.2 and 2.3 versions, and on two different computers, a Razer Blade 15 (1070) and a PC (8700K, 1080Ti). I also tried to enter various scenes from within Revit and as a standalone. Also tried different rooms. The issue keeps occurring, but only in Enscape (not Unreal or Unity).

However, the auto-movement in the 2 o'clock direction of the controller joystick can sometimes be stopped by moving the left joystick ever so slightly in the opposite direction, to counter the movement. The auto-movement then stops for a while on the PC. This can't be done on the Razer Blade. There, the unwanted movement is constant whenever the left controller comes on.

Hope someone with an Odyssey can join this conversation. I am not sure what's at fault here, my hardware or the engine.

The issue has reappeared in the current beta. It indeed seems controller related. No auto-movement occurs with just the right controller is turned on. Once the left controller is turned on, a constant movement is triggered. We can make do with just using the right controller. However, having full functionality would be preferable.

I will also use the feedback function. Just posting this here to see if someone else is experiencing this issue. Again, I am seeing this issue only in Enscape (standalone). It does not occur in other VR environments.

Hi Jorgensen, could you mention which phone model (iOS or Android) and which software you use to view the panoramas? We frequently have presentations where the internet connection is a bit spotty, so bringing the panos along as files could help. Thanks in advance for the info!

Demian, thank you for looking into the issue. It does not occur when visualizing models in Unity or Twinmotion with the Odyssey. However, yesterday your firm published a new preview version, and the auto-movement did not occur with that one.

This was just in time for a client presentation. Happy to report they were amazed to see the design in Enscape VR. One of their comments was that 'it must be cool to be an architect these days'. When everything works properly, your engine graphically dwarfs what's possible in Twinmotion, and to an extent also Unity. Issue resolved, as it seems.

We are using Enscape 2.3.2.1447-g5243138a (preview) for Revit 2019, with the Samsung Odyssey. An auto-movement, that is without user input, occurs. The viewer in VR is moved to the 2 o'clock position, with respect to the viewing direction, at a constant speed. There seems to be no way to stop the movement. This occurs also with the current stable Enscape for Revit version.

Framerate and image-quality are otherwise good, on AMD 1700 + 1080Ti, but not being able to stand in a place is inconvenient. A client even reported VR sickness. No such problem with the same file (e.g. Revit demo house) when connecting a Vive.

Hope someone can help.

If one upgrades from Revit 2018 to 2019, is it necessary to reset the license and/or perform a re-install? Talking about an Enscape standalone license, that is.

I just tested a Samsung Odyssey with Enscape in Revit. There are some tracking issues, but I am experiencing these with Unity projects as well. They could be related to my hardware. Other than that, it works. The content is displayed correctly, and the controllers function in the same way as they do with a Vive. This is great!

I could be wrong, but by the looks of it, it seems Enscape uses the Unreal Engine. If so, it is either not 4.18, because in this version of Unreal VR on Windows MR is broken, as it is currently on Twinmotion 2018, or a modified version of Unreal. Lots of assumptions here. But if indeed Enscape uses Unreal, I hope the developers skip 4.18.

Might add, that I have SteamVR with the Windows MR plugin installed.