Posts by Gadget

Am I understanding that you would want to save some of the 'global' settings as 'project' settings?

Or have a tag in some global settings that is variable depending on the project? (Look for a specification file in the same location as the project file and use the information within it for various settings. If it doesn't exist, use the default.)

It would be nice to have the loading screen populate with the project/client name without having to change it every project. And the default save file location. And any screen overlays... perhaps just the items listed in the "Customization" area of general settings?

(I may be miss-reading it, but there is a parallel request that could work well with this idea: Capture and Customization options)

You can use a plugin like Skatter (define the assets, define the covering with variation and click) or Chris Fulmer Scale and rotate (Place the assets, select and jiggle them about) or if you just want to do it manually you can place, select ([space]), use [S] to scale and [Q] to rotate.

Having the assets have some of this functionality built into them as you place them would be really nice (and is already a feature request).

I use SU and the texture loading is done from within it - this generally points where I want it and remembers the last place I loaded a texture from. In Enscape I generate all the images one after another, but it keeps reverting back to the 'default' save location rather than the last place the image was saved (normally a couple of folders deeper into the fie structure) ... So I don't know if the location swaps because I never jump from one to another and back again.

I do - don't currently have access to Enscape just now, but when I last tried it with cars something weird happened with the tail-lights.

I know that improvements to the program it's self take priority, but I think that there are a couple of improvements that could be made to the installer -

- make sure that it's the latest version and warn you if you are about to (re)install the same version or roll-back a version.

- have it check which version(s) of the native programs you have already installed and only tic to install these as default.

- only install the info relevant to the native programs ticked (I'm sure I have seen rhino and archicad files whiz past during the install when they are not ticked.)

- only install/overwrite files from the downloaded packet if they are newer than the files already installed (should improve install speeds - not that they are particularly slow just now, but...)

- have an option to display a txt update log file when it's finished. (listing the updates from the last version - perhaps also have this available from the i button too.)

(Note: it's only materials within the Enscape library of proxy assets that can't currently be edited - if you create your own or use another source, then they can be edited as you would expect.)

Don't think I've added my voice to this, but just had a recent project where an inverse panorama (turntable) would have been really useful.

Personally, I think it's good enough as it stands, but to edge it closer to perfection I might do some of the following...

- I think that the floor bump isn't quite right for the floor: the joins need emphasis.

- The family photo looks stretched to me and generally I wouldn't make it bigger than 1:1 if it was IRL (Generally I would put some art on the walls and have smaller family photos on furniture).

- The coffee table book needs set at an angle and the coffee cup needs put off-center. Similarly I would off-set one of the foot-stools slightly.

- Externally I would probably use a custom image for the wall so that there is some weathering.

- Normally rooms have Skirting boards and window cills, but to the curse of tradesmen, some modern architectural trends are to have a crisp join and edges without them (This makes the architecture lend it's self to looking fake rather than the fault of the renders).

- For 'visual interest' I might experiment with some pattern or reflective print wall paper on the end wall rather than a flat painted wall; the style is very 'male' and minimalist, but that's a stylistic thing rather than a rendering thing.

When you use Enscape to "Create View" (Camera button), it will create a scene within SU - this can be seen in the scenes tray. Personally I then tic everything except the camera location off.

You can then add these scenes to a favorites list with the "Manage Views" button (with a star, beside the camera button). This will put the camera location on a tab to the right of the Enscape window - clicking on it will take you to that view.

These locations and favorite views are saved with the file; anyone opening it and running Enscape will be able to fly to these locations by clicking in the Enscape window.

However each version of Enscape needs to be configured so that the Resolution is identical (from within the General settings dialogue). And the camera Field of view has to be manually set for each view (from the Rendering tab of Visual Settings). I would recommend taking a note of this setting within the Description field of the scene (in SU) so that anyone can reproduce the same image.

Unfortunately every other variable within the Visual Settings dialogue can change the final look of a rendered image; you might be able to generate images that would trace over each other, but one would be day and another night or one would be white mode with lines and another fully rendered.... Until these are saved with the scene there are too many variables to guarantee an exact reproduction of the same image between machines. (But why would you want to? Just send the image.)

Sorry - language from another program: yes "trays".

The scene position is stored as an x,y,z coordinate where you are standing and another x,y,z of where your camera is looking. This is independent of screen size, resolution, trays, toolbars, etc. It cannot change other than by updating the "camera position" within SU.

However both SU and Enscape have Field of view settings that will distort the image generated - and this does depend on the canvas size. So even if you have everything set up exactly the same, both programs calculate the FOV differently and you can end up with images that don't overlap properly.

If you want images to overlap perfectly then you have to generate them all from within the same program (Enscape): you have to make sure the following are identical on each instance of Enscape and no matter which machine is running, the output should line up perfectly:

- model

- scene (with same camera position)

- capture resolution

- camera Field Of View (This may be tricky since it's a slider and the numbers shown have a 10 step bracket that displays the same angle)

The SU working canvas size changes as you roll dockers in and out (eg. "Layers") and change the size/position of the toolbars. Enscape's window/capture size is based on a custom resolution or based on the viewport aspect ratio: if you change the aspect ratio in SU (by changing the canvas size, by rolling dockers in/out) then it won't match up.

Either un-pin the dockers and float them so that the canvas space remains constant, or set a camera position and resolution within Enscape, then change the outlines/materials to generate the multiple images from exactly the same position with exactly the same viewpoint.

(Across multiple machines, the only way to generate identical images is the last one - specific camera position and specific resolution with exactly the same FOV settings.)