Posts by Gadget

Your best bet for this is to use a light source and illuminate the image- although it needs to be turned up quite high to over-write the illumination from the sun/sky.

(Personally I would say that it's quicker and you will get a better result by simply adding some actual landscape in using a contoured grass plane the Enscape library of trees)

Notice in the first render image there is a lightness shining from under the chair? - this is absent from the 'model' images. Any dense geometry like smooth chairs, fabric, cars.... is intensive for Enscape to work out where the shadows fall for each little surface; so it cheats. And as a result you sometimes find that they don't cast shadows on the ground beneath them.

To fix this, draw a simple rectangle (or similar form-fitting shape) at the base of the component, hidden within the geometry: Enscape will see this and throw a proper shadow from it, making the ground dark again.

I have it happen on a few occasions: If there are lots of them showing this then sometimes re-loading the model restores them, but a quicker fix for one or two is

going into the SU texture and adjust one of the colour sliders (then put it back to what it was) it will force Enscape to look at the texture and re-load it into the Enscape library.

(But it is a glitch and shouldn't happen in the first place)

The bump height scale slider only works for bump maps - if a normalmap is detected it is therefore hidden. We could theoretically add something similar like a "normal intensity" slider as well, as a new feature to basically post process the normal map directly in Enscape.

Why not just change the function of the height scale slider to a "normal intensity" slider? It may be a different implication, but the visual result is the same to the end user.

(And as per an existing request: if the Brightness of the bump image was changed to Contrast it would lessen the need for a normal too ;) )

I set up scenes from within the Enscape window through the [Create View] button. I then link them back to the Enscape window through the [Manage Views] button.

A couple of improvements that I think would help with this workflow:

- When creating a view, the pop-up dialogue to name it often appears under the Enscape Settings dialogue.

- It would be handy to hit a hot-key/keystroke combination and create a view from within the Enscape window without having to come back to the native application.

- When creating a rendered image it would be nice to have an optional tic-box that would create a view at the same time. (It's status would be persistent.)

- If creating a rendered image from the same location as a saved view, then the default name of the render should take the same name as the saved view. (This would also apply to batch renders.)

- Any views added from an Enscape dialogue should automatically be starred as a favorite in the Manage views list. (This should already be in the request list)

- There should be a way to update an existing view's settings (primarily it's camera location and direction) to reflect the current Enscape view.

- There should be some way to both show the favorite view locations and navigate to them through the mini-map. (It would also be handy to toggle an overlay that marked these locations within the main Enscape view too)

It would also be useful if you could toggle a "Lock" for a view so that it acted like a panorama (Disable the navigation input while keeping the view input) and you could only navigate through the saved locations.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the normal map defined the actual height of the bump, so the height slider wasn't necessary. (If you want the height to be adjustable, you put the normal into the bump texture rather than use it as a normal.)

I think that Enscape recognises "normal" images if they are named correctly in the same location as the albedo image.

Transparencies have always been on/off and I've never work managed to get them to work with emissive materials: I've only ever managed to get a smooth blend by using a b&w mesh. You can try this...

https://youtu.be/u3CVlNwwkqI

(I havn't tried using a PNG for transparency yet; might give a smoother result)

The search is quite useful, but it does take up a bit of permanent screen real-estate: Can the search bar be rolled into the side? Or be a drop-down list?

If it is to remain, then it would be even better if there was a preview square beside each material.

It would also be really nice if the general tab had a preview of the material as it would actually be displayed within the Enscape window (Perhaps on a sphere or box or something?)

I know that there are plugins and some of the native applications have dedicated procedural textures, however with the plunge Enscape took into Assets I feel that it isn't such a stretch to at least look into the idea:

- Have a material type called "Procedural"

- This will repeat a tiled pattern with some random variations for each tile.

- Define a tiling shape (grid, plank, brick, hex, herringbone, cell) with x,y sizes and a variation percent that would affect each differently (grid = x or y, plank = offset or y, brick = size or deviation, hex = sides or rotation, cell = seed or density)

- Define the primary direction that the pattern will run on the face of the object (which way x and y are)

- Edge padding size, material, depth and chamfer facets (0 = hard edge, 1 = 45º, ... 5= rounded)

- Edge deviation to define an amplitude, density and smoothness (0% all = straight line, 100% amplitude = width of padding size, 100% density = condensed

- Body materials to be used (list) with an option of number of random rotations against each material (rotation angles = 360º/n) and an option on if the texture should be trimmed or stretched to fit.

- The materials above would be selected from any other material available.

This could be used to make seamless and random (ie more natural) wall tiles, floor boards, cladding, walls, pathing and even to have a more random grass or gravel texture.