Posts by Gadget

It's a good idea in general to have the audio only play when you come into range (I think just now that all audio plays, but the volume is 0 when you are out-with the range.)

I think you would also have to have a loop control so that the audio would either stop at the end of the file or repeat.

It would also be cool if you could hook up an audio source like a web player.

Yes... so? As long as the XML can be linked to the native file why does that matter?

Panoramas (and web standalones) are independent of the native file and also store image data. Favorites tag scenes for Enscape within the native file. Settings can be saved/loaded but don't link to a specific project or native file... it just seems to me making all these little bits uniform makes sense.

(Personally I would think that an external file would allow greater flexibility for import/export between projects.)

Ithink that this is to do with how Enscape handles transparency:

If you apply a "transparency mask" then pixels can only be On or Off. However if the texture is a PNG file, the image it's self contains it's own transparency mask as a greyscale with multiple values between On and Off. This is automatically loaded as a mask every time Enscape sees that it is a PNG.

I assume that a "Face me" component is read by Enscape (sent from SU?) slightly differently and Enscape has to make it's own mask rather than using the one in the image... If Enscape could apply a full greyscale transparency mask it would perhaps eliminate this issue, but until then you could open the image used for the tree in question, convert it into a jpg, mask the white areas outside of the branches/leaves and save that independently as a mask, then use this texture with it's newly created transparency mask. (PNG's take waaaaaay longer to load into Enscape - this method could have the side-effect of making Enscape quicker to load.)

Personally I would just use one of the in-build RPC content trees rather than use 'face me' components: much nicer shadows and better realism.

There are several settings saved when you save a keyframe for an animation: Enscape already is capable of saving settings per Keyframe view... it's just that it treats render views differently (And panorama views). I've been arguing for close to a year that the best option is to merge all the view types.

After you have placed your asset, hit [Esc] and you should be returned to the asset window.

(I keep hitting [space] which is the "select" tool in SU... this hides the asset window rather than closing it and sometimes it can be re-opened, and sometimes it can't.)

(recent preview release Enscape-Setup-2.4.2.2124-gd384852 & SU18)

I am finding that when I am close to metal objects, unless they are 100% lightness, they show as black. (While moving or changing the DOF they show the correct brightness, then when it starts 'cleaning up' and sharpening it overlays a black shiny surface... it renders the same way.)

If I pull back a little bit it renders properly.

It would be much better if the filtering system didn't 'hide' the tags that were outwith the current selection (So you could tic on "trees" and "people" at the same time.) - perhaps just change the colour of the non-relevant tags?

It would also be nice if the tags had three states: (none/ignore), Include, Exclude

And if there was a way to remember (load/save?) a set of tag filters.

It would be really useful if some of the assets had a 'season' tag:

- Trees would have a bare branch model, a fully leaved version and an autumn version.

- Plants would have a flowering model, a green model and a browner model.

- People would have outdoor/winter clothes, normal clothes and holiday/summer clothes.

Maybe some food stuffs or special assets could change with the season too.

It would then be Über cool if Enscape could read the geo and month data so that it could swap out the models as the calander shifted in the native app.

Cove lighting is a mystic art form that only a few practitioners have learned.

There is a feature request to make it simpler/easy/obvious, but until then there are many things that can direct you towards the effect you are looking for - it depends on the specific application (as Micha says; show the image for targeted advice).

The best way I have found is to make all the liquid surfaces a coloured glass (try not to have an "inside" glass surface to the glass where the liquid is - too many layers of glass and the surface is ignored.)

This might help:

Flat texture - just as a SU material with a texture image

Bump - Albedo colour faded to 50% (flatten the contrast in the wood grain) and bump map loaded, set to a height of 2 (If I use albedo then the flattening of the contrast also flattens the bump; the bump is the same texture converted to greyscale with an increased contrast.)

Roughness - Bump reduced to 0.5 and reflection taken down to 20% (This is what I do most of the time)

Reflection - Bump removed and a 'wet' reflection map added.

I would have, but I have over-written that version with one where I replaced the tree asset (no time to spend working it out as this image was going to the client today).

If it happens again I will create a snapshot model.

(I had installed one version back (1180) and re-installed the current version (1372) between B and C images being generated - this might have something to do with it?)