Posts by Gadget

Because glass is ignored behind the third* layer of glass. It's one of the 'optimisations' that make Enscape run so quickly an a 'live' environment.

if you are modelling a pane of glass, you would normally only put one 'surface', not modelling the thickness of the glass (ie a 6mm pane of glass would be created as a 6mm thick box, but then remove the back surface. This also helps avoid visible surface clashes where a glass table top rests on the main supports)

(*I think it's 3rd, but could be 2nd)

Would you not rather compose your own groups from the individuals provided by Enscape?

Rather than placing a "group" of entities, I would rather 'spray' a random placement/selection from a pre-determined list of assets. (This would let "groups" work for standing people, sitting people, workmen, gym members, staff, customers, children in play parks, clones, planting, leaves, weeds, stones, desk clutter, street rubbish, etc.)

The brickwork primarily: you can see a noticeable repeat pattern. If you copy the texture to a new one that's about 4x as big (tile the existing one again and again) and then clone over some of the bricks to avoid a repeat pattern it should look much better.

Technically, both file formats contain colour information on the pixels within the image, so for the sake of using them in Enscape, both will look just about the same.

However a PNG file also contains information that defines the transparency level under the pixels, so if you use a PNG for a texture, Enscape will use the information within it as a transparency mask rather than having to create your own. (Also note that PNG's hold a greyscale mask while Enscape only recognises a black & white mask when imported.*)

JPG files are designed to compress the underlying image and don't have this extra alpha channel to store, so will always be smaller in file size than PNGs. This, combined with the fact that Enscape does not need to run the 'transparency' bit of code against the texture will make using JPGs result in a much faster, less memory-hungry, and smoother to navigate model.

(*This was true a few releases ago - I don't think it's changed yet, but the desire for it is a wishlist item)

I have argued the case to make Keyframes and Views (and panoramas) to all be the same thing for a long time ;)

I hadn't though that so many 'scenes' would have that much of an impact on the native application: I can see the advantage in most programs... It would be good if every Enscape camera position (view, keyframe, panorama, snapshot position) was able to be shown as a "favorite" shortcut in Enscape, but somehow tag the ones that also relate to native application 'scenes'.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the 'softness' of shadows is more to do with the actual light rather than the shadows? The more diffused the light source, then the softer the shadow; the more intense and direct the light source then the crisper the shadow. An emissive material will give the max softness, a spotlight the max crispness and IES profiles give all the ranges in between.

(Although I am 110% behind giving native Enscape light sources a "diffuse" setting.)

? Do you mean like the Highlights/Shadows settings under Contrast in the Image tab of settings?

(Not sure it needs any tweaking: looks good to me :thumbup:)

There is a slider under the Atmosphere tab in the Visual settings dialogue named Artificial Light Brightness. This might do what you were asking.

However I do agree that some sort of keypress/toggle/button that would let you scroll this slider while within the Enscape window would be useful. Similarly if this setting* could be saved per scene/view it would be cool.

(* along with 99% of the other Visual settings)

I have had the first thing (identical lights producing different lighting) a few releases ago - they had a look at it and there was not much they could do about it. I've not had the situation come up again, so I can't say if there has been any improvement. I think that I solved it by using an IES profile rather than a spotlight.

The second item was a known issue that (I think) they fixed in a recent preview release.