Posts by Gadget

I generally use them from the library and I've never seen them revert to a default (yet). However I've not tried creating custom proxies...

They always come in as a blank 'default' colour, but once I have a texture applied to one I just duplicate it. Or i have a palette made up and just select/fill a whole group at a time.

There is a feature request for assets proxies to default with a transparency level, and another one to have the fill of a proxy have an influence over the actual model it imports - so this tip might prove disastrous in the long term.

Sometimes I do wish the selection boxes could be turned into the silhouette as with the asset library models.

It can get very confusing which selection box I'm actually looking at, when there are so many plants in very close proximity.

Tip: Since the fill of an Enscape asset has no impact on the actual asset, you can colour code your assets and even use semi-transparent materials so that you can see if one asset is within the foliage of another. If you then name that colour, then you can easily find(*) and select(**) specific plants to move/orientate.

(* in the enscape materials window)

(** in the r-click menu of the SU Edit materials tray - note that it only works within the current grouping level)

Just tested with a few other models: the camera position is being relocated to the model's origin (main Axes in SU), but the camera orientation is being moved to look in the direction as was recorded when the panorama was created.

Edit...

Another clue: when I click on the mini-map to move to a location, the vertical z of the camera changes to 0. If I then relocate to Z > 2m and click on the mini-map, the camera's Z now changes as I click to different locations... Actually the Z and min-map do weird things: tried it again and although the Z moved to 0 from the location set by the panorama, clicking elsewhere set it to 1m... weird.

Since that post was submitted the Enscape team have worked hard and the water has been improved:

- You can now add colour to the water, but the strength of the effect is related to the distance an object is from the surface of the liquid; you still can't have a cup of coffee or glass of wine.

- The edges of liquid have a 'fall-off' that fades it to nothing; kind of the opposite to an edge refraction that works with bodies of water rather than smaller scale spills and drinks.

- You can now change the height and scale of the waves.

- You can change the animation direction and speed with wind settings.

And the settings are per texture rather than global.

I can only praise the team for their constant development: it makes the next level of improvements seem further, but not impossible:

- Have two adjacent surfaces of liquid with different settings blend together.

- Add a second water colour for the 'top' layer of water before it fades to (the current) water colour.

- Have the ability to adjust the cyan tint that is hard coded into water (Or have this as the 'default' colour... the spring water of streams and lochs around here have a brown 'peat' tint rather than a Caribbean blue)

- Add edge refraction (as above) where a liquid texture meets a glass texture.

- Edge bounce ripple animation (for things that stick into/out of liquid - boats, pier columns, people, ... this could also be used to replicate rain, splashes, fish, etc.)

- Edge border fluctuation (move the intersection line between a liquid and it's container to match the wave animation)

- Underwater light caustics that are projected onto surfaces* and god-rays. (* Just now a liquid acts like a filter, colouring and adding caustics to objects seen through the liquid)

- Light tint/coloured shadows where light comes through the other side of a liquid.

- Shoreline waves.

- Vertical sheets of water.

And with the current settings, it would be much more useful if the wave settings and caustic Intensity could be input with a dimension rather than a percentage.

There is not much to it: I open a model, start Enscape, open the Manage Uploads, click on one of the ones shown and click on the Fly To Panorama position.

If I click on any of these, the marker's orientation changes in the mini-map, but the location does not move... I would guess that the location is 0,0,0 from the mini-map - Enscape has 'lost' or does not know the camera location. I have noticed it much quicker to load the previews (~1min rather than ~10min). Could it be something to do with having loads of panoramas (exactly 400 now) and running out of memory somewhere?

(Generating them is just navigate to the position and click the button.)

(Enscape-2.6.0-preview.5+9425 SU2019)

I'm trying to re-create previous panoramas and didn't actually save the positions as separate "Views" like I normally do - but the Panorama section of the Manage Uploads has a button in it specifically for that... unfortunately when it's clicked on it does not put the camera back to that point in space.

The other things to check are:

- Atmosphere | Illumination | Sun Brightness (turn down a bit)

- Atmosphere | Illumination | Artificial Light Brightness (turn up a bit)

- Image | Contrast | Highlights (turn up a bit)

- Image | Contrast | Shadows (turn down a bit)

- Image | Ambient Brightness (turn down a bit)

- Rendering | Camera | Exposure (Toggle auto exposure on/off to see the difference)

I would like to be able to apply the same transparency / bump / reflection setting that I have used on one material to another without having to flick between them and manually copy them - my suggestion would be:

- A pipette button to the right of the Transparency, Bump and Reflection headers* (one for each) or/and this button would be accessible from within their respective tabs.

- click once to turn the mouse to the pipette icon

- this would let you click on any material within the native application window OR a name on the material list

- the selected material's property would be coppied into the currently active material.

- Another method might be to "Group" textures within the list and changes to the "master" group would change the "slave" groups?

(* I would also like to copy the albedo texture seperate to all of the other albedo settings... perhaps all the texture settings in all the sections could have a separate pipette next to the trash icon?)

Advanced:

A 'lock' icon beside the pipette - if active it would disable the ability to edit any settings for the specific property from within this material's dialogue: it would be locked to the 'source' material. Any changes to the source's settings for this property would automatically update the locked material's settings. If the user tried to edit them, a popup would tell them which material it was locked to and give them options to either "unlock" or "select source material" (or "cancel")

Similar, but different: I would also like the ability to replace every instance of one texture with another texture - perhaps drag from one to another within the texture list? The one being dragged replacing the one it lands on-top of. (With user confirmation.)

I'm finding that any glass objects (wine glasses, bottles, vases...) that are sitting within the focal point (when a depth of field is set) are never sharp:

? either use a 'blank' skybox or you could (in the Atmosphere tab) change the cloud density, variation and cirrus amount to 0% - these will both serve to eliminate all clouds.

This has been asked for before, and I get Clemens's explanation... BUT in programming there is an event you can detect when an application has (or is just about to) loose focus (i.e. the mouse/user controls switch away from Enscape to the native CAD package.) Is it such a stretch to maintain cloud rolling and water movement until Enscape looses focus?

I think that this might work better as two combine-able assets: wheelchairs (A&E pushable chair*, electric chair, electric with full back support, sporting wheelchair, mobility scooter...) and then sitting assets that of various races/sexes/ages of people that could "use" them. (And a few carers who could push.)

This way the sitting folk could also be used elsewhere and chairs could be shown empty in various places.

(* it would also be cool to have a collapsed wheelchair asset that you could show stowed away or in a car.)

I find that I am lacking some general categories of plants (I'm no botanists or gardener, but I know some of the basics... at least basics where I come from: they are native and common here.):

Roadside plants: rosebay willowherb, gorse, meadowsweet/hemlock/hogsweed, nettle, docken, tall grass, poppy,...

Border planting: lupin, rose, foxglove, fuscia, heather, primrose...

Lawn weeds: daisy, dandilion, clover, buttercup, mushrooms...

(And not all hedges are privit: I find a lot of birch and laurel hedges where I have to sink trees into the ground to try and reproduce.)

The Render Image button will only activate when the Enscape Preview window is running (Via the Start Enscape button) - you can change materials, add Enscape objects, etc... but there the program cannot find an image to render until the Enscape window has been started.