Posts by Gadget

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.

Biggest benefit: time.
    I have one day (on average) to start from nothing, model an existing house & garden, add an extension, change the internal layout, texture and light it, add some dressing and create a presentation. I could spend one week and you wouldn't be able to tell if it was real or not. But I have (so far) not found any clients who would pay for that level of service.

I don't know - I can see two paths

1 - apply a 'weather' filter to a selected texture

2 - apply a generic 'weather' filter to the whole model.

Obviously 1 would give lots of control and give realism for selected areas while leaving other bits looking shiny and new. However 2 could just be a tic box setting that saves lots of time because you don't have to edit every surface you want to show it on; an option for "increased realism". Both would be cool, but I can imagine that they might fight against each other.

OK - looking through them all...

Aa mouse drag can put the slider anywhere +or - the whole number displayed (ie it can say 50% but it could actually be 49.8% or 50.4%)

Any change of 0.1% does not show (only displays whole numbers)

General; Papermode; outlines 0.1%

General; Depth of Field; amount 0.1%

General; Exposure brightness 0.1%

General; Rendering quality - one step

Image; Saturation 0.1%

Image; Temperature 0.1K (When the range is in thousands, this seems a bit small)

Image; Bloom 0.1%

Image; Brightness 0.1%

Image; Flare 0.1%

Atmosphere; Horizon; Rotation 0.1%

Atmosphere; Fog; Atmosphere 0.1%

Atmosphere; Clouds; Density, Variety, Cirrus 0.1%

Atmosphere; Contrails - does not change

Atmosphere; Longitude, Latitude 0.1m (Again, working in thousands it's a bit small)

Atmosphere; Sky; Sun, stars 0.1%

Atmosphere; moon 0.1%

Input; All 0.1 steps - (The display is to the nearest 0.01, so the only way to change the second decimal is dragging)

Advanced; Height 0.1m (Again decimal is to 0.01)

Brightness; 0.1%

The materials sliders (SU) is where there is a strange thing happening with the sliders:

Image fade 0.1% (and it displays :)

Self illumination: start at 5000 -> 3972 ->3155 ->2506 cd/m2 (??)

Transparency; opacity 0.1%

Transparency; refraction 0.1 (display and drags to 0.01 precision)

Bump; amount ?? (Seems to depend on where on the slider the number is)

Reflections; Roughness, metalic, specular 0.1%

Under the Albedo/Bump/Transparent/Reflection tabs, the sliders are 0.1% increments but only show whole numbers.

sorry not every input type - when moving a slider with the arrow keys it can jump 1% or if it's not % (for example light brightness) it can jump in strange steps.

I would like to have an option to 'weather' an object.

I'm not sure if I would want to apply the effect to the whole model (for simple, quick one-click application), only certain objects/components/groups or only individual textures (for maximum in-depth control);

• edges showing wear/erosion
    • rust/water streaks down walls
    • splatter/creep up walls
    • scratches and blemishes to surfaces (this can currently be achieved with a 'gloss' mask and/or a scratch bump, but that would need to be incorporated into the material's own surface - this would be an over-lay that is independent of the material it's applied to.)

It probably doesn't seem life-like because the lighting is flat. I would recommend setting the time to 00:00 so that the object is lit solely by your spotlights (use more than one). And you need to use a texture with "metal" in the name (Just re-name the texture) so that it becomes shiny. Are there any raised sections on the coin? If it's just flat disc with an image face then it might look like... a flat disc with an image on it's face.

You might also find it tricky to navigate if you are keeping the object at the proper scale; Enscape is primarily used for architectural builds, so I would increase the scale by a factor of (eg) 100 so that it's huge.

(The attached is just a 3D warehouse search for "coins", scaled up 100x, sitting on a "grass" texture and lit with three spotlights - increased in power because of the scale.)

Just encountered a situation where I would want to see an object, but not have it cast shadows - trying to be clever and add a panorama shot to a model so that the view internally is accurate to the site location.

... Actually if there was a way to (easily) import panoramas as skyboxes without having to edit them first (define the horizon, take out the sky, set the viewing arc...) that would be amazing.

I agree; moving the horizon (& sky box) up/down (latitude?) would be a nice feature.

I imagine the skybox having to warp as if it is mapped on the inside of a sphere.

I love the grass feature - it's one of the best things about enscape. And I really like how the grass assumes the colour of underlying surface fill. But there are a few little things I think would make it even better:

• Use 'bump maps' to change the 'z' of the overlaying grass (height)
    • Change the height of the grass from 'cricket pitch' to 'field' (perhaps an actual numerical scale?)
    • On surfaces >70º from horizontal (I think that's where it becomes noticeable) use a more random scatter rather than horizontal lines of grass (looks like contour lines just now)
    • Access to the variable that defines how far from the camera the grass stops rendering (and is replaced with the flat texture). Similarly, some way to change the density so that the grass thins-out as it gets further from the camera. (These are mostly for speed of render; turned down while setting things up and restored for proper presentation/renders)

- Personally I like the fact that if I draw a cube and colour the inside base with a grass texture you can see it sticking out the bottom edge/joins; I could use it to make industrial scenes look overgrown/naturalised. I could see where a toggle to tidy this or provide a 'buffer zone' might be asked for however I would say that this is a cool feature and leave it alone.

- You could also have two grass models: "seed-heads" and "blades" with a mixer to say how much of one to mix (randomly) with the other. Option to select the base model for each type - you could then use this to produce fields of various crops or weed patches in a lawn or just add a little more variation/realism to the standard grass.

- If you wanted to get really clever you could add animation effects to it; a limited ripple so that the grass moved as you "walked" through it. Wind ripples, helicopter down-draught, rippling like water as if things were running through it,

(mentioned elsewhere: - it would look so much better if you could remove the outline from grass when outlining the rest of the model)

Re: movement - I know about the sun moving, but I was talking more about a 'water' like ripple:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(This is leaves, but depending on how it was done it could also be used for street scenes with traffic and people moving past.)

Wanted mask: drop down selection just like the wanted sky box.

Distance from model: slider (I was initially thinking about just changing the height of the mask, but you are correct; distance from model makes more sense.)

Speed. File size. Ease of use. Being lazy.
    If I want to show something like this I have to find the silhouette/component(s), then align and position them within the model, then move them until it looks right,... - normally it's too much time to spend fine-tuning to be an economic use of my time. However if it was just a couple of clicks... :)

If it was just a 'shadow material' I would still have to insert the geometry and position it. Better than inserting lots of unnecessary geometry, but not as streamline or simple. (Attached - only a part circle; shadows are nice, but instead of a nice sky and sky-box I'm looking out at an ominous forest from inside the room.)

And if you added movement to the shadows it would be even cooler.

If the option was within each selected object, then each object would need to be selected and set, then re-set when not wanted - it would also only look "correct" for static images. I was proposing a simpler way (I think) so that you don't need to edit stuff in the native program for a presentation.

I know you are outlining the way it has traditionally been done in other software, but I don't think that's a reason to be tied to doing it the same way: what are the end results you are looking for? For objects not to get in the way of the scene/view you are presenting, but to be visible in reflections. A more complex method might be to have geometry the camera is enclosed within only have a wire-frame that you can see through; there are other ways to achieve the same goal.

I am thinking on another sky-box style layer:

- Internal views of a cafe could have shadows of people walking past the window

- Internal views of a bedroom loft could have the shadow of dappled leaves in the sunlight as it hits the wall.
    - externally the shadow of fences, trees or buildings could cross the model without actually having any geometry.

(My machine decided not to switch on today - when it's repaired I'll mock up something)

Just trying to think 'outside of the box' a little bit: could it be simpler to have two advanced view/render options:

- tic-box to not render shadows from objects behind the camera.

- have a 'clipping field' sphere/plane at a variable distance from the camera - all geometry between the field and the camera is ignored in the main render, but shown in reflections. (This would cut through walls/geometry like a cutting plane)