Posts by Steven Garubba

*Just noticed more people are posting on here.*

Hello Everyone!

Here is my entry for the Enscape rendering competition. :) Most of my inspiration has come from the ideal Christmas day weather. The design of the home is very personal to me for I hope will be the home my wife and I will live in and share many Christmas memories in. I just have to find that perfect location with the beautiful mountain peak to nestle in front of!

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays & Happy New Years!

Steven Garubba

P.S. I never thought I would spend hours modeling my own garland assets including the Christmas Tree. ^^ (I will share those on the warehouse at some point)

Hello Everyone!

Here is my entry for the Enscape rendering competition. :) Most of my inspiration has come from the ideal Christmas day weather. The design of the home is very personal to me for I hope will be the home my wife and I will live in and share many Christmas memories in. I just have to find that perfect location with the beautiful mountain peak to nestle in front of!

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays & Happy New Years!

Steven Garubba

P.S. I never thought I would spend hours modeling my own garland assets including the Christmas Tree. ^^ (I will share those on the warehouse at some point)

Thank you for your kind words!

I try to keep walls and cabinetry simple as far as material goes. I'll use just the color/albedo without bump or reflection for the most part unless there are bead board elements. For cabinetry and trim, I'll use 30-50% roughness while the walls would be at 70-90% roughness. The work on detailing and realism is spent on modeling rather than textures. A lot of trim profiles are used throughout the house to produce a certain level of depth.

In short, studying classical architecture, detail and proportion help to produce this certain level of realism!

Hope this helps!

Steve

Just downloaded Quixel Bridge and Mixer and they're pretty awesome. Might have to play around with Mixer to see what materials can be created. Tiling is always the issue.

Out of curiosty, what subscription do you use? I see they have one specifically for architects.

Yeah tiling is always the toughest to deal with but their list of different randomization sliders should help.

Were currently using the personal 4k textures plan since our firm is 12 employees in size. The architecture plan may be a little overpriced in my opinion. You can still get all the archviz textures in a normal personal.

Oh nice, that's encouraging to hear. Aside from the grass, are there any other assetts you've used from Quixel? What about their materials? They've obviously got a really great library.

I honestly thought I wasn't going to buy megascans because of all the random things they have like mushrooms and dead logs but they have a lot of different surfaces in there for archviz that are very high quality scans along with surface imperfections. The quixel mixer is also something I'm using now for creating different textures. You should definitely check it out!

Amazing renders. Did you use transmutr to bring the grass into Sketchup? How's the performance?

Thanks! Yeah I used Transmutr to export from the Quixel bridge and save as a Sketchup model. It works like a charm and I highly recommend the workflow.

The performance was pretty decent in the beginning however I had to bring the density of clumps down once I got around to the back and had to cover more surface area. I believe I had to keep it below 40,000 objects in Skatter to hold high framerates.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments!

As for the grass setup, I am using Skatter with Sketchup along with the native Enscape grass at the default 30%/30% height and variation.

Programmed Skatter to point proxies on normals of the topography surface to add variation. You'll also see that I checked scale falloff on grass so that grass proxies scale down around the edges of the sidewalks.

Used 3 varieties of Megascan grass clumps:

Used 1 variety of Megascan basket grass at 5% probability:

Final tip: Always place some sort of objects or trees behind the camera and provide shadows on the foreground/grass area for added variation to your final image.

Best,

Steve

Hello everyone,

Over the past couple of months, my wife, Kylie Garubba who works as an architectural designer here at the same office, started working on a design for 2 apartment buildings for a client here in New York. We had the opportunity of double teaming this project together. After helping out with the design and finishing up the exterior model, we were given a site survey with contour lines and parking layout which helped to produce the site model.

Below, I am proud to share the final concept renderings of the project!

Steven Garubba & Kylie Garubba

DeGraw & DeHaan Architects

Very nicely modeled. A couple of quick observations that I hope you find helpful:

1. I can see light bleeding in under the back door. Since it's an exterior door, it would have a threshold.
    2. I don't see any light switches on the walls

Wow you jerk...^^

Haha jk, thanks for the feedback!

As always, perfect work Steven. 8)

Do you model all your own furniture or is there a database I don't know about?

Thank you

Cheers,

Manuela

Thank you Manuela!

I try and find high-poly models in 3d warehouse. Just increase the polygon count slider while searching. Then I will edit them further with my textures and some additives like blankets with clothworks.

Thanks again,

Steve

Great result! What kind of image filter do you mean with photo filter? We do not plan to replicate Photoshops filter variety, but if there are some often-used things like shadows/highlights or color temperature we did already add them in the past.

So far, we only support motion blur during the walkthrough or video export. Once we have animated objects, it will be useful to have motion blur in images, too. so yes but I can't tell you when this is going to be released.

Thanks!

I guess what I'm looking for is something that can create uniformity within the image of the render. For me, when I have all of these different assets coming from different sources (Warehouse/Asset Library/Megascans), I have to color grade with hue/saturation and make other level/curve adjustments in Photoshop to make a single cohesive image.

I think users would value preset photo filters to stylize their exported images and would enhance the speed of making renders for clients which I think is one of Enscape's biggest strengths.

I just saw that Twinmotion has this feature and I believe Lumion does too.

Hey guys,

Wanted to share a little speed model I made as an exercise. This whole scene was done in 2 hours. Used photoshop for path blur tool and some color grading.

Makes me think though, will Enscape offer post-process tools like photo filters (color gradients) or motion blurs in the future?

Without Path Blur:

Vanilla Render:

... simply speechless - an excellent work !
    (especially I love the view into the winter-garden with the grand piano and this "cool" top-down view)
    if you've used SkUp, how big is this file?

Thanks man! The base model for this SketchUp is currently at 248MB, but I am sure it would be well over 500mb if I included the proxies (high-poly furniture).