Posts by Tearch

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape (including installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed here. Thank you for your understanding.

As per Rhino 8: Status quo and next steps The likelihood anything gets fixed until March, but more likely Q4 of 2024 is very low.

I've run into this multiple times as well switch from at home work to in office. There are just differences in the way files are saved between sketch-up and rhino that allow sketch-up file textures to stay linked to the model. The only work around I've found is to keep texturing to a single computer so all the files stay linked. In a group setting though this method could be problematic.

You will loose the some functionality of Enscape if you only use Rhino materials if you didn't already know that. Enscape doesn't convert Rhino materials over, so things like displacement maps and such will not transfer. As per the post, supposedly some fixes will be included in the march update but based on the developmental track record of Enscape, Rhino materials are not likely to be integrated in Enscape ever.

I am still so ticked off by this.

Just for fun let's go through every major update Enscape has made since 3.0 which happened on March 3rd, 2021 (2.85 years ago)((D.5 has had 9 feature updates in the same time frame)):

-New look = Subpar video editor

-Multithreading - Ok

-Link view presets - Still not implemented in the manner hoped for by the forum

-Material library - Hasent hasn't been touched since implementation(except for maybe some added textures)/ missing features that would make it useful to users

-Material editor overhaul - Same as above

-View management - Still not implemented in the manner hoped for by the forum

-DLSS - Had issues but is now worked out

-Ray tracing shadows - Rocky start, but has been Improved

-Pano Gallery - Meh

-Simplified assets - Ok

-In-app asset placement - Not needed

-Batch Pano - Some people speak highly of this

-Upload management overhaul - Meh

-More ray-traced shadows - Ok

-Asset Library overhaul - Needed but not impactful

-Site context - Useless and hasn't been touched since

-Alpha Channel export - :thumbup:

-Material overwrite - Ok

-Enscape always on top - Nice to have but a minor improvement

-Custom asset categories - Very nice to have but could be improved greatly

-Save sun position - Would be useful if the view presets worked better

-Improved mirror reflections - :thumbup:

-Adjustable assets - On the right track but not fully implemented in the ways the forum had hoped

-Improved Indirect lighting and reflections - Ok

-More assets - Ok

-Multi-asset editing - Meh

-Improved alpha export - Ok

-Colored shadows - :thumbup:

-Nvidia shadow denoiser - Good but not fully Enscapes doing

Almost three years of development and you guys have only added 3, maybe 4, or 5 depending on the person, fully flushed-out features to the program. Now you are adding on an additional 4 months to create a parallel version of this program for Mac with no feature updates and withholding Rhino 8 support. If I could, I would replace any combination of the 3.0 updates with a single D.5 update without a second thought.

Enscape is getting raked over the coals on this thread and honestly, I think it's justified. If something is happening behind the scenes at Enscape that the forum/user base is not aware of that is impacting the ability of the program to progress competitively with competition. While simultaneously locking people into year-long uncancelable subscription plans (with rate increases); Enscape is traveling dangerously close to the fraud category.

I don't know how I missed this thread for so long. But this now explains why the video editor has gone untouched for years. Why? To focus on a minority subset of Mac users. Yes, there was vocal support but why now?

asking us to change the tires on an old bus that served us well but is being decommissioned while we are in the process of finishing the new and shiny bus that will come with the fresh tires from the get go.

The "new and shiny bus" is a shell that's missing everything but its frame and tires.

This is unbelievably disappointing. Especially, after D.5's update this past week. Look at this list of features that D5 has that Enscape is currently lacking:

-functional video editor

-weather

-volumic light

-PBR/substance integration

-water - both flowing and static

-video texture with alpha options

-rounded corners

-uv randomizer

-an integrated scatter tool

-asset animation

-decals

-real-time vine creator

- Subsurface scattering

-manipulatable hedges

-real-time above-surface caustics

-Interior Parallax

That's not even a complete list as I just cherry-picked the major additions over the last 4 updates, mind you that were all added in just over 16 months. These have been what we the users of the forum have been asking for years to be added. But all we got we "That's too complicated for live rendering" or "submit it to our voting black hole". Well D5 just showed you guys up by adding that plus more. You guys haven't touched the video editor in TWO years!!!!  But let's drop everything and develop the Mac side of Enscape so a couple of hundred people can experience the pain all of us PC users have had for the last couple of years.

Enscape 2017-2020 was amazing. You guys were on top of almost everything. Speed of updates, minimal bugs, and reacting to user feedback. Enscape 2021-2023 has been nothing but buggy releases, minimal feature progression, regression in key features, and a lack of communication. I can speculate on why, but that doesn't fix the problem.

If Enscape had all the major features people have spent years on the forum requesting but lacked a Mac option, I would be on board. But this is the exact same thing that happened with the site context feature, which I should point out hasn't been touched since it was added.* At this point I'm convinced the Enscape office has a spinner board with all the requested features on it and they just keep replacing the bottom option with whatever a big firm mentions in passing because they weighted the spinner so it only lands that feature (except for color shadows, which doesn't make up for the years of falling behind the competition).

* As a fun little aside, I went through the last 10 pages of the showcase and all 4 pages of the WIP, and not a single post uses the site context feature. (Two posts had comparable quality site context but I suspect were not from Enscape itself due to the modifications of the site in each case) What a great use of resources and time that was.

prg.tojei I don't know if you read the older entries in the thread, but this thread is about the Enscape video creator, not a third-party video editing software. If this is an ad for third-party software those aren't allowed on the forum.

On a side note, this thread turns 2 years old tomorrow and nothing has changed on the video creator side of things. I would love to know why this doesn't seem to be a priority of Enscape and why the development of the software has gone way down since the Chaos acquisition. That is not to say there is no development or the development is bad, I just want that to be clear. But Enscape in 2017-2018 would have had a fix for the editor in two months, in two years since, nothing other than a post saying it's being floated in the developmental meetings has touched the topic. I also understand software gets more complex as features get added so that affects the dev time, but two years for a UI update. Really??? What the hell is going on? Has Enscape just accepted defeat and is getting ready for the moment D5 runs its corps over? Once D5 releases the ability to export stand-alones, I consider Enscape dead in the water. I truly wish that wasn't the case.

I have extensive use with the original Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive Pro. Comparing two 2015 and 2018 headsets to a 2023 headset is foolish if I'm being honest. Everything from viewing angle to resolution has increased vastly. The only aspect that's similar is the refresh rate. A increased refresh rate could help with motion sickness but that is also affected by the power of your source computer. I would recommend https://vr-compare.com/ to find the best headset for you. For viewing Enscape, a wired capable headset is still the way to go for viewing time and performance. But everyone has their priorities and having a VR capable PC is honestly equal if not more important than the headset itself.

I'm sure you can run the model off the battery just fine, but I can't imagine you'll get more than ten minutes viewing time without switching batteries. I find just resetting it drains 10-15% of the battery. Unfortunately, every wireless headset is held back right now by battery technology.

Yes I am, it does but it is finicky. The headset works through both vive and steam, but it requires a restart of the headset if you want to switch between two models, which is a pain in the middle of a meeting. I run it tethered to a PC via a USB-C cable so I can't speak on how it works wirelessly. Make sure your PC has a USB-C outlet that supports 30w power otherwise you will find that it will not even turn on assuming you're running it off cables.

Nuge I just did a little paroozing of the D5 forums and release notes. I am thoroughly convinced that D5 will overtake Enscape completely within the next 6 months. Archicad(asset rotation issues) and Rhino(lighting issues) seem to be the runts of the litter when it comes to Enscape development.

JPBernier I agree with the sentiment of your statement and fully agree there should be some sort of smart phone support for the stand-alones. Realistically though, there are so many different PC specs out there combined with the minimum specs needed to run a live rendering platform that I don't know how you change the current threshold Enscape has created. I'd rather my clients not have a stand alone at all over one that looks terrible because it had to be bastardized to run on their frail home PC/MAC. Apple is coming out with more powerful products, but most commonly owned Macs today are not powerful enough on the GPU side to run Enscape well.