Posts by Adam.Fairclough

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.

Re-run the installer, but right click and choose "run as administrator" That's been a solution for me and my customers

I think currently the only supported workflow is that enscape assets can be shown in v-ray , not the other way round.

This is because Realtime assets and offline render assets are not the same , both systems use different types of materials and lighting , many of which aren't feasible for a realtime renderer or within the framework of a low friction simple to use software like enscape.

V-ray can easily understand the enscape assets because they are very simple - but many of the V-ray ones are very very specific to V-Ray and it's capabilities - many of those capabilities are unlikely to ever arrive in enscape.

You must have separate geometry to give you the brown soil?

Normally the grass matches the colour of the material on which it is painted, so as the grass fades away it just becomes green.

Could you not use the soil areas in the distance? - in your example above I don't think it adds a significant amount of detail to warrant the grass looking missing in the distance.

You could hide some of those soil surfaces that are further away from the camera in a given shot- you can sync object visibility with SketchUp so that would be fairly easy to do.

Or creatively frame each shot to draw attention from it - a little more depth of field or a slight repositioning of the camera?

Hey Adam.Fairclough, thanks for the suggestion! I would like to understand the use case for this before I can answer. Why do you want the realistic output overlaid with the sketch? Can't you achieve what you want with the outlines? Do you want colored hatching?

49468-comp-png

This was an example from earlier- I wanted to keep the colour , lighting materiality of the surfaces I had created, but I also wanted to give this piece a conceptual look also - the hatching really aids this and gives a unique look.

The combination of the 2 lets me achieve this - much in the same way that users use the outline options currently. - perhaps to intentionally give a work a more "cartoon" like look.

Hello everyone and thank you for testing the sketch Artistic Mode! I want to confirm that the jitter zooms the image a bit to hide artifacts at the edges of the image. But we are going to revert this change because you made us realize that it is important to keep the contents of the viewport the same.

We like what we see already from your tests and can't wait to see more :)

Not sure how possible it is, but being able to run the Sketch look on top of the standard ouput would be welcome - that would save having to composite it in photoshop.

@Adam.Fairclough

Sorry, you responded too quickly ! I had confused in your previous answer the Enscape render and the SketchUp model !

I didn't have time to delete my question before you responded.

No problem!

I know it was a feature request you've made, but I thought it might be useful to know that you don't need to worry about it too much as it's kind of in hand between SketchUp and Enscape :)

Adam.Fairclough

But are you really sure that Enscape is using maximum texture size on your example ?

Enscape adjusts the texture resolution based upon several parameters - such as the size of the surface to which it is applied.

In this case, because my surface wasn't large enough to warrant it - enscape has downsampled it on it's own.

You can see this in the enscape logs

6-06 11:21:33.855 8f60 [INFO] Downscaled texture: C:\Users\adam.fairclough\AppData\Local\Temp\Enscape\SketchUpTextures\19916\8kbq.png_ay3m1lab.tga - cat(6) from (8000,8000) to (4096,4096)

You can see there that Enscape has loaded the original texture at 8K and to maintain performance, scaled it to 4k. So what we've done in the modeller itself has no bearing on what Enscape chooses to do with the texture file.

Coming back to the original query,I don't believe SketchUp 204 is so so impacted so much by having the large texture, beyond the filesize becoming larger.

It reduces the quality of the texture quite significantly.

Enscape will always do what it's algorithms feel is right to maintain performance, using the original file you loaded, entirely independent of what has been loaded in via SU/Revit/Rhino etc.

Thank you Adam,

I did not see Enscape as a working app anymore, in the dock. And I saw no option to close it in the Enscape menu, that's why I was wondering how to close it.

I think the update changed that. It's much more integrated I think.

By the way, it's a very nice update!

Does the window not have the normal red close button?

(I've not tried 4.0 on my Mac yet)

Have you tried the normal MacOS fullscreen toggle when you have the enscape viewport open?

Control+CMD+F

Thanks Adam,

But in this case, does Enscape still use the maximum texture size ?

Yes, here is an 8K noise texture loaded as a texture in SketchUp at SketchUp's maximum texture size.

Here is when I untick "load maximum texture size"

Enscape is loading the internal file from the SketchUp material and is using it's own logic for how best to use that 8K texture - not what SketchUp is rendering in the viewport.

You can untick the "use maximum texture size" option in SketchUp to stop SketchUp trying to use the larger images.

SketchUp will stop at 4096*4096 and downscale to this if the texture is larger.

If the box is unticked then it will only use a 1024x1024 image.

Enscape actually does a similar thing anyway, as discussed in a couple of threads, where 4K textures are rarely visible at that resolution - so you could perhaps use

SketchUp's new renderer handles those things much better than it did anyway, so if you aren't on 2024, it may be worth a go.

This kind of thing is common for most real time renderers - reflections are complex and expensive.

However , you will probably have more success if you increase render quality to "ULTRA" where there are higher quality settings for reflections.

The inpiration image looks like it is much more reliant on the artifical lighting to give it its look.

There are a number rof very sharp shadows on the floor from some off camera lighting.

Yours looks more like it is being lit by the ambient light from the windows which A: has a very different colour temperature and B: is creating very soft shadows.

I would consider making it mightnight and focusing on what you ca do to light the room with placed lights.