Posts by Adam.Fairclough

If you have a SketchUp subscription, you can have it installed in 3 places at any one time.

Alternatively you could export from SketchUp in .IFC, which is something Revit can open easily.

Very interesting, Adam. I have never made use of normal maps before 😬 but I like the way you have so clearly described how to do this. I will try it!

Normal maps were the newer version of a bump map, so those are the ones that you should use most often - only when you need a deeper relief might you need to also use a displacement map

I don't have relief either with my displacement map (for very rough concrete). It's a PBR texture from ShareTextures. Just the shadow, but flat, with no relief.

Here is a quick guide as to how to get it to work - I'll use a sharetextures example : Brick Wall 5 in 1K (a sensible choice for real time)

Also worth noting that Sharetextures seem to use 8bit Jpeg files - ideally we would like 16bit PNG files for this.

I'm going to extract these into a folder and open the Normal Map and the displacement map in Photoshop

When the normal map is open I'm going to open the channels and press the plus button

This will create an alpha channel

now go to the tab with the displacement map in and press ctrl-a (select all) and ctrl-c (copy) to copy this displacement map

Go back to the normal map tab and paste the displacement map into the black alpha channel

If you click the eyeball next to RGB in the bottom right , it will show all channels combined - in this example it looks a little more red than it did.

Save the file as a tiff.

Load this into Enscape's height slot and choose "displacement"

This will load both the displacement AND the normal information in

Notice that Enscape shows the alpha map we loaded in as the black details

This will give you a nice result than using just normal/displacement, but as is always the case with Parralax occlusion maps (which is what the displaceme is) this does not change the silhouette of the object

RTX 3080 Ti

We specifically upgraded to this GPU hoping for better performance and quality using RTX but honestly, most of the time I end up disabling Hardware-accelerated Ray Tracing, NVIDIA Denoiser and NVIDIA DLSS because of crashes. When I say crashes, I mean like hard, SketchUp just closes crashes.

Are you using the Proxy versions inside of SketchUp?

It's not going to affect performance until you've used up that memory.

My laptop workstation has 6GB and I've got some full masterplan sized projects that get close to that - with raytraced shadows enabled I will get messages telling me I'm running out of memory.

It's going to depend on the complexity of your project and how well you optimise it to work within that memory budget.

I don't know what the logic is for what is a duplicate , but if you try importing the same enscape texture into a model multiple times, then renaming each one, the plugin merges them.

(I just gave it a go as I've never given it a thought about how it works)

I guess even just merging duplicate RGB triplets means there are 16million+ possible combos, so the chances of erroneous merging must be small

The plugin is super useful, one of my most used!

I use these settings reguarly

So there are a couple of things being talked about here

I'm guessing the lumpy bumpiness is down to the density- which itself affects performance quite rapidly.

Other renderers that aren't targeting realtime outputs, may increase the density and/or use geometry to improve the fidelity of it.

Or just make it huge and keep the density low : here is an example from another renderer cited in this thread.

Obviously this comes with it's own issues when you want to make a nice tidy lawn.

Ultimately Enscape is a real time renderer with unique focus on real time output and of course this comes with other compromises vs renderers that are targeting other performance metrics or render outputs - I think it is important to understand the tool you are actually using and what it has been designed to do.

So there are a couple of solutions : one is to use Skatter : which handles the placement of geometric asset grass with proxies really amazingly.

You can use free plugins to try and do similar things, but experience tells me that SketchUp + 1000s of pieces of foliage will make your machine cry - even other realtime renders make my machine cry if I try to populate a large area with grass or trees.

One thing you could try in areas that are particuarly close to camera where you need that extra density is to brute force it.

Here I've just duplicated the face and lifted it a tiny amount above the original plane, there are now twice as many bunches of grass occuping the area. I've made the 2 layers white and green so you can see this more easily.

This will fill in some of the gaps

Other things to check to help the appearance : two sided faces

This face is black on top, but "grass " material on the bottom : note how it respects the top colour but grows the grass from the rear side.

Bug or Feature?

Of course, you can use this to your advantage if you intentionally want the grass to look a bit more sparse or as if it's growing out of soil.

Another way to do this is to reset the scale of your whole model and make it huge which effectively increases the density by reducing the size of the grass - obviously this is a little more destructive and not so useful if you want to set up permanent scenes. it may also have other effects in places where distance is taken into account.

Hello everyone -

I am very new to Enscape, and need to know a good laptop to get to support Enscape with Sketchup. I have a MS Surface Laptop, but the video card is less than 1 Gb so I can't really do anything in Enscape. I'm looking at Dell Alienware laptops now, but how critical is the video card/memory, and does anyone have a recommendation for a good device? It's not for gaming or anything...just interior design renderings.

Looking for something around $3000 - $3500?

thx!

We are just on the cusp of there being new machines featuring intels' 12th generation CPUs -I would make sure you are grabbing a new model with one of these - they are faster, cooler and more efficient.

If you are working in 3D, especially something like Enscape, then you want to be paying attention to the GPU. a 3080 or a 3090 with the most VRAM available will serve you best.

These new chips have also benchmarked better for single threaded performance, which is what you want for working with Sketchup (which doesn't really care for the GPU at all)

I thought so too, however Enscape native materials use what looks like a Normal map for the displacement setting.

Take for example the pebbles material... Pebbles 01,Brown. Notice the Heightmap type is set to Displacement.

Enscape supports normal maps and height maps simultaneously- the height map is embedded in an alpha channel of what would look like the normal map.

So in the preview it looks like they are using a standard normal map, but it’s actually a displacement map + a normal map.

You can’t change the silhouette of an object using a displacement map in Enscape - it’s a hologram on the surface , an illusion.

Most real time renderers avoid doing any geometry based displacement as it is too intensive - that sits in the domain of offline renderers such as v-ray , where performance is not so critical.

I think it should be white to be having no effect - I think that white or that value of 1 is multiplied against the original value of the pixel, thus creating no change.

It may be that the 3D package used to create those models is not matching the correct gamma output that Enscape uses for it's texture, a SRGB/Linear mismatch would cause textures to become too bright.

Where is the model from?

we found going wireless to be quite liberating for clients and ended up with a very different experience. After saying that, the wireless does have some performance issues keeping up with complex scenes that wired did not seem to have..... this only seemed to be with enscape. Very complex game stuff seems to work fine over wireless.

Yeah wireless is amazing.

The complexity of the scene shouldn't affect the wireless transmission AFAIK, it is essentially a video screen and the headset is "dumb" to this - but it may be an indication that you need to optimise your scene for VR - this is a skill in itself.

Comparing it to a game is probably not so sensible games are magnitudes better optimised from an art/asset standpoint than anything typically done in Archviz. There are certainly things that can be learned from games if VR is your target.

The default frosted transparent material works better than it used to : You can control how blurry it is using the "roughness" parameter.

That is just a thin box with the same material painted on all external and internal faces.

100% roughness

50% roughness

An NFT itself can't actually be data for an image or a Jpeg or whatever, it just has a little space for text type data. for example the NFT might contain a web link to a google drive or server where you store your .exe file.

So in the case of opensea and decentraland, they might host those images for you, if those services close or change the location of the file, then the original NFT will no longer function, unless you go back and update it to point somewhere new.

The NFT itself is simply like a certificate or receipt or receipt . Think of it closer to actual paperwork.

This paperwork tells you where something last was (in a storage location)

For example here are the details of an NFT art ,you can see the "contract" as it is public ally accessible in the blockchain

Bored Ape Yacht Club: BAYC Token | 0xbc4ca0eda7647a8ab7c2061c2e118a18a936f13d (etherscan.io)

Within the contract is contained the web link location for the image (in the tokenURI section)

Which can be got to by the web link below

QmUhNC9rgW83eFrArkDa1jJqpLMpsUqKYBnhJ72St6sFFM (631×631) (cloudflare-ipfs.com)