Posts by Adam.Fairclough

This is a request from one of our architecture focussed end users - they use the white mode a lot, but would like to be able to exclude materials/objects from becoming white (like the transparencies are)

For an example, they would like to be able to leave trees and landscape features as they are.

I see!

I struggle with the autoexposure in this too (some more metering options would be nice)

However , one way to work that might help you is to use openEXR and expose your image in photoshop rather than in Enscape.

This is what I do for shots that I’m going to be processing more.

You will need a really powerful windows PC for it to be useable; however

It should go something like this (from memory)

Download the Oculus software

https://www.oculus.com/download_app/?id=1582076955407037

it will jump through a few steps of installation and downloading

Once this is done, you need to connect via high speed USB 3.0 cable. Your PC will also need to support this : look for one labeled USB SS (super speed)

The Quest 2 charging cable can work, but might be too short to use. Test it , but Otherwise, jump on amazon and get a Quest link cable.

When using the Quest Headset, you go to settings: Quick settings: oculus link

The connected laptop should pick up your headset and the Oculus PC interface should load.

Start up your enscape file and click the VR button.

You might want to turn the visual settings down to draft or medium

You should see a view of what the headset is seeing on the PC screen and you should get a VR view in the headset.

I've just been exploring a model with Quest 2 and the new Airlink features.

Works Flawlessly with Enscape.

It's amazing just how the sense of scale is changed when you are inside it and not just floating around it

I think that sounds like a nice solution, but It would still bet that it would require a different set of technologies to make it happen.

You'd also probably end up with different results to the realtime view and the "offline" render.

It's not that doing it "in Realtime" is impossible - videogames can do it, but those scenes are all designed around keeping rendering really fast and memory usage low. There are teams of 100 of artists optimising every single material and asset to squeeze every last drop of performance in a scene.

Nobody does that in Archviz, it's just not practical.

If Enscape were to release the same type of thing into the wild with enscape, they have to consider someone using it to create displaced geometry soil over a 5km square or using it to add wood grain onto a warehouse floor.

Which might be ok if you have a Dual QUADRO 8000 with 88GB of VRAM, but this is not the case and the primary users of Architecture visualisation are not concerned with optimisation of their models, so I can't imagine it would be a good use of resources to do it , when so few people can make use of it.

If you are using non pbr compliant white, it will be more obvious.
    If you are trying to do white walls in an interior , try making sure your value or brightness for the colour (B) in the HSB mode for material colour in SketchUp is below 90

I tend to use 80 for a white painted wall( 204,204,204 in RGB) - it will look a little dimmer, but it will render better overall.

It's also super demanding, which perhaps makes it less suitable for real time rendering - imagine the amount of extra geometry that needs to be created for a load of pebbles.

I guess in future it may become more plausible as machines get more powerful and algorithms and software/hardware tech improve.

I've used skatter on projects with enscape, if you are using suitable assets enscape will do well with them. Obviously if you are planting a whole forest, then expect some major fan noise from your workstation.

You can use it with more detailed assets using transmutr to create enscape ready assets with placeholders for inside of sketchup (a must for plants!) so that SketchUp doesn't have a meltdown.

You can also use the custom assets function in enscape to achieve the same thing

If you are using one of the lower quality rendering presets then it may have fallen back to a screen space reflection.

Try turning it up to ultra and see if it still does the same.

It would be really great if I could apply some post-process colour correction using an loaded LUT. This would allow me to keep things looking the way I want in realtime.

Obviously easy to do in video editing and photo editing, but I'd like to see it there for VR etc.

It sounds like if you are getting close to your machine's memory limit, then this will be a key factor as to why things aren't behaving so well for you. Having a faster GPU will be faster, but you'll still be bumping up against your video memory limit , which means you can't use more materials or more geometry beyond what your current machine handles.

Glad it works for you!

Should also work with other formats that support an explicit alpha channel (like png or tga).

Figured it out.

Perhaps a photoshop quirk? - I had to apply the displacement map as a layer mask to the RGB normal image - then save as a PNG

Adding in an alpha channel did not function as it did for the TIF.

Works great! Thanks

I'd love to see the displacement and normal intensity settings decoupled in future :)